Thank you for your interest in volunteering with HALO!
We rely on the support of volunteer time and resources every day. At HALO we have a number of opportunities that might match your individual interest and skill. We ask that you review the opportunities below to find your best fit, then fill out a VOLUNTEER APPLICATION.
Immediate Volunteer Needs:
Meal Makers at HALO
Prepare and serve a meal for shelter residents to enjoy at breakfast, lunch or dinner. This opportunity is best for groups of 6 or more and is a great team-building opportunity for employers. Last December, HALO served 6,402 individual meals.
Volunteer Opportunities for individuals or groups:
- Adopt a Room- One of our favorite volunteer opportunities!We are looking for volunteers to adopt one of our sleeping rooms for individuals or families, or a common area within the shelter in need of updating. Since opening in 2005, there has been significant wear and tear to many rooms throughout the shelter. By adopting a room you can restore our worn-out rooms to their original condition or better, helping make clients feel more comfortable.
Restoration can include painting, repairing cracks in walls, replacing ceiling tile, floor tile, and light bulbs, or waxing or
finishing floors. Additionally, you can choose to donate or replace dressers, under the bed storage containers, pillows, bedding, coat racks for the doors, standing clothing racks, air fresheners, shower caddies, shower flip flops, wall mirrors, or decorative wall hangings.
- Donation Drives-You, your family, your co-workers, your church... any individual or group can host a donation drive for personal care items used at the shelter daily. Successful donation drives have included Diapers, Deodorant Sticks, New Socks & Undergarments, Food Drives and more. Use Facebook and other social media to spread the word.
A great alternative to receiving gifts on your birthday.
- Tutoring - At HALO we care deeply about supporting our school aged children. It shows too, as 90% of our students improve their grades while at HALO. Through tutoring, you can come alongside a student as they face challenges in school, life, and everything in between.
- Children's Activities - Make a difference in the lives of the many children who live at the shelter by coordinating a fun, memorable activity such as storytelling, game night, musical performance, sing-a-longs, outdoor picnics, arts and crafts and more. Nighttime activities between 5-8pm are needed most, but we'll work around your schedule!
- HALO's High Five Summer Camp - volunteers and camp counselors are needed for our free, 8-week educational program for children in 1st through 5th grades. This is an ideal program for youth and young adults to gain valuable experience working with children. Click here for more information.
- Meal Makers - Prepare and serve a meal for shelter residents to enjoy at breakfast, lunch or dinner. This opportunity is best for groups of 6 or more and is a great team-building opportunity for employers. Last December, HALO served 6,402 individual meals.
- Assist Staff - Be a friendly, welcoming face at either front desk intake area (Men's or Women's Shelter) and assist staff by answering phones and completing small daily tasks. Volunteers with computer skills are always needed for staff assistance and data entry.
- Special Events & Fundraising - Help us make our special events successful and fun. Become a HALO ambassador at community events such as our Another Helping for HALO dining events or our Barnes & Noble Holiday Book Fair, or join the SLEEP OUT for HALO planning committee in charge of making this major fundraising event run smoothly and effectively. Or, you may...
- Host your own special event, such as a sock drive or rummage sale to raise funds and awareness for HALO's self-sufficiency programs.
- Gardening, Grounds keeping, & Facility Development - Help us maintain the exterior and grounds of our 22,000 square foot facility with gardening, painting, lawn care, etc.. We are also looking for volunteers to help start up our urban food-growing program.
- Join a Board Committee - We are always looking to add expertise and knowledge to our board and its many committees including:
Board Development-board recruitment, training and development
Finance-fiscal management of funds, properties and operations
Fund Development-contributed support and fundraising activities
Human Resources-organizational development and strategies
Programs and Services-client policies and procedures
PR/Marketing-enhance overall image and visibility
Social Enterprises-business enterprises and partnerships
- -Twice a year, HALO coordinates an overnight count of unsheltered individuals in Racine County. During this Point in Time, volunteers go out in teams, handing out bottles of water, blankets and other supplies to those in need and urging unsheltered individuals and families to come to HALO.