Why isn’t HALO accepting all in kind donations at this time?
Over the past few weeks and months, HALO has been overrun with generosity from the community. HALO works hard to make sure that each individual and family in our program has what they need to succeed, whether that includes clothing, personal care items, school supplies, or even the basics of an apartment. To do this, we do accept donations from the community on a regular basis.
However, space is limited around HALO! During their stay in HALO we may have as many as eight individuals per room. Because of this, we are forced to limit the amount of personal items each person can keep in their room, generally around 10 outfits per person, or 15 for a working individual with a uniform. Additionally, space is limited in our donation storage facility. When we receive an influx of donations, we are forced to limit donations to only a few essential items that we use on a very regular basis. There are other items that we are unable to take any time of the year, due to various regulations placed on our organization.
Are there any items that HALO can use right now?
Of course! There are always items that we need. However, these vary based on the individuals in our program, the season, and what has been donated recently. Always make sure to call before donating, so we can let you know what we need at present. Here are some examples of items we need very regularly:
- Bedding, including twin sheets, pillowcases, blankets
- Undergarments for men and women, including underwear, socks, and white t-shirts (L, XL, XXL especially!)
- Paper goods, including Kleenex, ziploc bags, napkins
- Bath towels and wash cloths
- Diapers, especially sizes 4-6
- Perishable food items, including milk, fruit, vegetables
- Sets of dishes in good condition
How else can I help HALO and the individuals in your program?
Just because we don’t have the space for many items at this time, doesn’t mean that aren’t other ways you can support HALO or activities that support our clients. Here are a few ideas:
· Give your time! We can use volunteers for all kinds of things, including serving meals, tutoring students, serving on our board or committees, or even sorting the donations from other individuals!
· Help furnish an apartment! We work with local organization Feather a Nest to furnish the apartments of some of the men and women moving out of our program. Get in touch with Community Outreach Manager Andy Koetz at 262-633-3235 ext 143 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in this program.
· Give financially! One of the most important ways we can help individuals is through the time of dedicated, professional, and knowledgeable case managers and staff who provide daily guidance, referrals, and resources to our clients as they work to become self-sufficient. But we can’t do that unless we are able to pay their salaries! Your financial gifts enable us to provide more than just a bed for those experiencing homelessness.
For Our Housing Programs:
Bed Frames (all sizes)
Bedding (all sizes-new or cleaned)
Pots and Pans
An industrial freezer
A new Business Phone System to replace existing one--with multiple-line, intercom, paging and voice-mail phones for over a dozen offices and rooms.
Flooring--HALO is entering its tenth year of service in 2015 and desperately needs to replace large areas of flooring in our facilities. We prefer to this in segments, room by room. If you or someone you know is in the flooring business and would like to help with a donation of materials or service, please contact Eric Hill, facilities director at 262-633-3235 xtn. 208. Thank you!
Other Donation Needs:
Transitional Housing Program Needs